Sunday, June 10, 2007

What a difference the sun makes


One of the reasons I also moved, no, it was not because I followed Paul Magers , is the weather. Which is obvious to everyone who knows anything about Minnesota. (Although there is someone I talk to quite frequently in passing who thinks it is down south. He always asks me if there are good soul food places here and I want to tell him it would be more like if there are any good Lutefisk places I have tried correcting him, telling him how much it snows and that it is in fact up north, but he keeps coming back to it being in the south. Oh well)

What I do tell people that shocks them a bit it the great expanses of time Minnesotans do not see the sun. Right before I moved here there was period of time in December of 2005 that we did not see the sun for two weeks. I am not lying or exaggerating, look it up if you want. People here complain about
June Gloom , but really it is nothing compared to a Minnesota gray period. If you see in the wikipedia description of June Gloom, the clouds burn off in the afternoon, that doesn't happen where I am from. Gray all day everyday for weeks, with possible chance of severe thunderstorm/snowstorm with intense humidity or dryness, depending on the season.

When I first moved here people would laugh at me because I would wake up and want to run outside and go to the beach, because I thought that the sun would go away. Heavy conditioning.

I guess now I have gotten used to the constant sun. Hey I am sitting here writing this instead of being outside for the last hour and a half of sunshine.

No comments: