Sunday, June 10, 2007

The waiter has his chance


The first Blog I Heart is Waiter Rant.

I have been reading this blog since it was on blogspot, and since then author, who is never named, has become internet famous, has his own website, store and now a book deal.

It sounds intimidating doesn't it?

Don't be frightened. It is probably one of the best written blogs in the blogosphere and no one needs to know that you read it but you and I.

Waiter Rant is a blog about a waiter who rants about his customers, his co-workers, the class systems housed inside "the bistro" (His restaurant that he also never names) about his time as a seminary student, (If you are worried about him being preachy, don't worry it is quite the opposite) his time working in a half-way house, breakups, misunderstandings, mortality, etc.

I give you permission to stop reading this blog for a week or so to catch up.

Another reason why I love this blog is that when I was a struggling college student at the University of Iowa I took one of the only jobs available in this over populated college town. I took a job opening a restaurant as a line cook. Yes a girl line cook. A "Grill Bitch." After all these years, I still don't flinch picking up hot plates and when a waiter tells me..

"Be careful, the plate is hot"

I usually reply...

"I used to be a line cook, I no longer have feeling in my fingertips"

I have been on all sides of the restaurant business, although I have never owned one of my own. (I would be really bad at it, I let people walk all over me.) Reading this blog reminds me of the crazy, stressful, incestuous fun working at a restaurant was, but also so very thankful that I am no longer doing that work anymore.

This is why I am also loving Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential right now.

Happy reading!

No comments: