Saturday, April 5, 2008

The differences between L.A. and MPLS


There are a lot of differences between L.A. and Minneapolis. I have gone into some of them in previous posts. One of the most telling differences between them is in free reading material. When I lived in Minneapolis my social activity centered around the City Pages . A free weekly newspaper very similar to the LA Weekly and New York's Village Voice. The City Pages was always full of great things to do including seeing local bands (God, I miss the local music scene) art crawls and my favorite find Atari Party. (Every Atari game, kegs and local bands 10:PM until dawn)

I thought that I would have similar luck with the LA Weekly, but unfortunately the majority of what I can find there is where I can get breast augmentation, reduction, botox, chemical peels, rhinoplasty, tanned, buffed extensions, color contacts and other places to change the way I look.

Because how I look just isn't good enough right?

I know that fashion magazines do the same thing, but at least they are a little bit obtrusive about it.

I feel like here they are letting you know about the great things to do in this town but if you want to go, you better at least get a chemical peel before you go.

On another related note I was looking at a W magazine today and one of the recommendations for skin care in your 30's is botox to get rid of crow's feet. You know that Botox is Botulism right? I am 30 and would rather have crow's feet.

I much prefer the Minneapolis come as you are attitude.

No comments: