Saturday, March 8, 2008

my favorite banned movie

After looking through Filmtracks I was reminded of my favorite banned movie written and directed by Todd Haynes, also one of my favorite film directors. (His "I'm Not There" was featured, but my favorite film is the "Citizen Kane"-esque "Velvet Goldmine") ((A girl who likes Hip-Hop and Glam Rock, No Way))

I digress.

My favorite banned film is a movie he did a couple years after he finished film school called "Superstar: the Karen Carpenter Story" which you will find by clicking here (It is best if you do not watch it full screen, very pixelated, obviously a copy of a copy)

I think this is a great film of the effects of fame on the psyche as well as a great film about eating disorders. I think it is a must see for young girls and might sway people away from that destructive disease.

What Barbie Dolls?!?!
I know you might be put off that it is "acted" out by Barbie Dolls, but if any of you are old enough to remember how she looked before she died, you would realize that it would be a human rights violation to ask anyone to widdle away to the weight she was before death. Not that the starlettes aren't trying.

So if you have about 40 minutes to spare check out my favorite banned film, how it ended up on the internet I will never know. When I saw it as a copy of a copy of a copy the Carpenter Family, especially Richard was taking legal action so that it would not be seen, he didn't want Karen remembered that way, and the doll thing didn't help.

Let me know what you think. It isn't bad to comment on a blog that you are reading or emailing the person to let them know that you are reading. In fact it is encouraged.

No comments: