Saturday, March 8, 2008

Filtering through nostalgia

This blog isn't as music heavy as the other blogs I have had. I kind of miss talking music w/ people.

This is good segue to....

One of my recent purchases has been the Filter Magazine winter '08. (with Q-tip on the cover.) Read the article "Q-tip and the Legacy of Hip Hop", I think it is one of the more eye opening articles I have read in a long time. I love the interview style to tell the story of an era. (See Yes Yes Ya'll by Jim Fricke and Charlie Ahern) Did you know that Low End Theory, which by the way is my greatest hip hop album of all time, influenced Dr. Dre to make "The Chronic."?

See all the people who were influenced by Tribe and what they say about them.

I remember running to a friend's house after school everyday to watch Yo! MTV Raps just to catch the Bonita Applebum video. Tribe was the first Hip Hop band I ever fell in love with. I love hip hop as poetry, I love hip hop as social political criticism, those are the reasons I love Tribe and continue to be a big fan. I regret only being able to see them twice before they stopped being a group.

By the way if you are wondering what music I listen to you can find me by my email address at www.jango.com. I have 4 stations to choose from.

No comments: