Saturday, February 9, 2008

Free and Flat

What: Free Thursdays
Where: Museum of Contemporary Art ( MOCA ) All Campuses
When: Every Thursday, 5-8p.m.
Total cost to me: $3-I split parking costs with my friend

Thursday, Feb. 7th I had the opportunity to be one of the last people to see the the Takashi Murakami exhibit for free. I have been a fan of his ever since seeing his work as part of the Superflat exhibit at the Walker Arts Center in Minneapolis. His art is very complex, sexually charged, pop commentary.

You may have noticed a couple years ago that the classic Louis Vuitton brown and gold line of bags and travel accessories got a bit of a color pick me up, well that is thanks to their collaboration with Murakami. They were also selling his Louis Vuitton bags at the exhibit, needless to say I did not purchase one being laid off and all.

If Japanese anime manga superflat art isn't your idea of viewing pleasure there are plenty of other exhibits to choose from. Check their website linked above often.

Note: This photo is not part of the Murakmai exhibit it is a photo by Cindy Sherman whose work you can see as part of Moca's permanent collection. (Photo taken from internet, not sure how rights work if you want to hurt me for using it email me at fadeinmail@gmail.com)

No comments: